Re: wm(4) issue/question

On Mar 2, 2010, at 11:09, Brian Buhrow wrote:
        Hello.  That message usually means the device isn't responding in a
timely manner, and the driver is resetting it.  On the wm(4) cards, I
usually see it when the card has lost connectivity with the network it's attached to, and when the machine is trying to transmit packets. Since it's a fiber card, you might check to make sure autonegotiation is working fine, or just nail it up at 1000-baseSX. I submitted a number of patches to make the nailing part work some years ago, and I believe those patches
are now a standard part of the driver.

I'll take a look for that the next time I try to attach it to the newer switch.

 If possible, look for errors on
the switch or router you're attached to and see if you're getting
connectivity drop outs. Perhaps you have a failing gbic or a bad fiber
connector.

That's possible, but the parts are all new, so I don't expect that would be the case. Sadly, it's a partially-managed switch, so I don't have any real access to errors. Just status information through the web U/I. The optical transmitter status showed okay, and I had link lights. When I next try it, I'll verify that the link light is solid, as well as trying what you suggested above.

  Thanks for the pointers...

            - Chris