Re: dump(8) lacks a last-stage incremental dump feature

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 01:52:36AM -0800, Greywolf wrote:
 > Once upon a time I bemoaned that dump(8) lacked the ability to do a
 > "true incremental dump" once level 9 was reached.  You can start
 > at 0 (full) and then just do 1..9 and have incremental backups, but
 > the next 9 will be a differential.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you want, or the point - the
intent of the dump levels scheme is that you can do 2^N nightlies
before you need to do a level 0, but only keep N dumps around at any
given time.

However, doesn't your patch mess up /etc/dumpdates?

David A. Holland