configuring wireless interface fails

Greetings.  I'm trying to configure a wireless interface.

interface: zyd0
base station: netgear WNR834Bv2
required authentication: WPA-PSK WPA2-PSK
SSID advertised: NO

Doesn't seem to be working.  using wpa_supplicant as follows:

wpa_supplicant -i zyd0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

wpa_supplicant.conf contains:

ctrl_interface=/tmp/.wpa
ctrl_interface_group=0

network={
    ssid="MySSID"
    scan_ssid=1
    psk=$MyWPA2keyconvertedtoahexnumber64byteslong
}

I have the same problem as described here:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2008/12/31/msg006948.html

I searched the NetBSD mailing list and was unable to readily determine
the solution to this problem.  If anyone has any pointers on this I'd be greatly
appreciative.

--
<center>--*greywolf;<br>
/* relayer @t gmail d0t com */