Re: fsck seg fault failure on vmware -i386?

[tried to send this out with attachments...here is with links]
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010, "Eduardo Horvath" <eeh%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:
>> SO...seems maybe fsck_ffs needs something in /usr when it finds
>>issues and pukes when it can't find it?
>
> I wonder if it has something to do with shared libs.
> Can you try /rescue/fsck_ffs ?

/rescue/fsck_ffs behaves EXACTLY the same.

Without /usr mounted it dies
  see screenshot: clarity.homeip.net/images/RescueFFSSegFaultFail.GIF

With /usr mounted it fixes the crippled partition
  two screeshots: clarity.homeip.net/images/Rescue+usrFFSokMessages.GIF
                  clarity.homeip.net/images/Rescue+usrFFSokMessages2.GIF

I've also included a screen shot of the multi-user boot failure message...
  clarity.homeip.net/images/mu_BootFailScreen.GIF

Why would /usr influence /rescue/fsck_ffs?

Does seem to imply that fsck might not be available on real hardware
(this is just virtual of course) in a case where /usr is a failing
partition?

Please let me know what else to check.

--gene