Re: fsck seg fault failure on vmware -i386?

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 12:07:58AM +0000, Eduardo Horvath wrote:
 > > Point me to docs and/or give me a rough series of commands / objectives
 > > and I'll give it a try.
 >
 > You shouldn't need to do anything with the kernel, just gdb running on
 > fsck_ffs.  You probably need to recompile fsck_ffs with symbols.

This.

To do this, do 'make cleandir && make dependall DBG=-g' in
src/sbin/fsck_ffs on a different machine (so as not to touch the
broken volume) then run it.

Running it in gdb from single-user mode may not be feasible, in which
case the best approach may be to mount a ram disk, cd there, and let
it dump core, then copy the core file out.

 > OTOH this is probably a lost case.  While fsck_ffs should not be
 > generating segmentation faults, even if it were fixed it probably wouldn't
 > be able to repair your filesystem.

That is probably true; one can easily get unfixable volumes from e.g.
mounting with -o async.

Oh, another important issue: was it running wapbl, softupdates, or
vanilla ffs?

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost