Re: fsck seg fault failure on vmware -i386?

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010, yancm%sdf.lonestar.org@localhost wrote:

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010, David Holland wrote:

Is there any other NetBSD-Fu I can use to fix this simply? 8-)

Ooh boy. No, but we don't like to see fsck crashing. Are you willing
to try debugging it complicatedly?

Wouldn't this be a good time to learn about mounting the file system
via rump?  At the very least, your whole system won't crash, and it
might be easier to debug with gdb than with ddb.

:)

Paul and David,

Sure, will take a shot at diagnosis with whatever tools and time I have.
I've used gdb in some light debugging, never meddled in ddb that I'm aware.

Point me to docs and/or give me a rough series of commands / objectives
and I'll give it a try.

Assuming you're using a GENERIC kernel, or at least one with the necessary options...

Have a look at the rump_ffs(8) man page, and use rump_ffs to mount the suspect filesystem rather than letting mount(8) and mount_ffs(8) do it.

Good luck!

BTW, I've never done this, but (famous last words) "it should work". At the very least, you should get a core dump from "the userspace server process" which can be examined with gdb.

:)

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:      |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul at whooppee.com   |