Re: netbsd-5 system hangs while booting since recent kernel update

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 10:33:11PM +0100, Matthias Drochner wrote:
> >   auich0: can't map codec i/o space
>
> If the IO space is not enabled this is for a reason which is
> outside the reach of the driver. Either is is impossible due to
> address space shortage, or a lazy BIOS didn't care to map it.
> For the latter case we have these *FIXUP* options.

I disagree. There are very valid reasons outside the control of the BIOS
why the memory or IO space might be disabled. That said, the correct
place to check this is the PCI bus -- iff the corresponding bars are
properly initialised, it should enable memory and/or IO decoding.
That would reduce a lot of redundant code in the drivers.

Joerg