Re: netbsd-5 system hangs while booting since recent kernel update

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 10:33:11PM +0100, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> j+nbsd%2010.salmi.ch@localhost said:
> > I'm not familiar with the code; what might be the problem with it?
>
> A PCI device driver should never touch the PCI_COMMAND_IO_ENABLE
> and PCI_COMMAND_MEM_ENABLE bits in PCI_COMMAND_STATUS_REG.
>
> >   auich0: can't map codec i/o space
>
> If the IO space is not enabled this is for a reason which is
> outside the reach of the driver. Either is is impossible due to
> address space shortage, or a lazy BIOS didn't care to map it.
> For the latter case we have these *FIXUP* options.

Huh. Why aren't these FIXUPs on by default already?
My laptop needs the bus fixup, and apparently a significant
number of machines need the fix for BIOSes that don't touch
the CSR in the right way.

> If the BIOS didn't map the range, chances are high that the
> base address register is still zero; enabling IO access will
> immediately cause a decoding conflict at low addresses where
> the standard ISA components are mapped.
>
> This change is wrong and should be backed out.

Complete reversion of this pullup has been requested.
I've removed the code that touches these bits of the
CSR in 1.135.

Sorry for the trouble.

        Jonathan Kollasch