Re: Hyphens in man pages are no longer hyphens

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 12:50:05PM -0700, Sverre Froyen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For I while now I have been using "LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8" in my .profile.  I
> recently noticed that I can no longer copy and paste commands containing
> hyphens from a man page because the hyphens get formatted as "342 200 220"
> (from od -c /usr/share/man/cat1/send-pr.0).  Unsetting LC_TYPE results in man
> pages containing regular hyphens.  The strange thing, however, is that this
> used to work.  With LC_TYPE set.  Formatted man pages from a catman on 22
> Nov.
> contain normal hyphens whereas current as of a week ago produce the UTF-8
> specific hyphens.  Does anyone know what changed?  Is there a way to restore
> the old behavior?

I can get this "new" behaviour on 3.1, 4.0 and 5.0 and 5.99.16.  I think
this started happening to me when I set MKCATPAGES=no in most all of my
new builds.

But you're seeing this in "shipped" cat pages?

        Jonathan Kollasch

P.S.
As a hack-ish fix, you can add -Tascii to all the
nroff invocations in man.conf(5).