Hyphens in man pages are no longer hyphens

Hi,

For I while now I have been using "LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8" in my .profile.  I
recently noticed that I can no longer copy and paste commands containing
hyphens from a man page because the hyphens get formatted as "342 200 220"
(from od -c /usr/share/man/cat1/send-pr.0).  Unsetting LC_TYPE results in man
pages containing regular hyphens.  The strange thing, however, is that this
used to work.  With LC_TYPE set.  Formatted man pages from a catman on 22 Nov.
contain normal hyphens whereas current as of a week ago produce the UTF-8
specific hyphens.  Does anyone know what changed?  Is there a way to restore
the old behavior?

Thanks,
Sverre