Re: path to use for "pkg_add -v"

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 02:58:03PM +0100, Torsten Harenberg wrote:

> Am 21.12.2009 um 14:33 schrieb Huub van Niekerk:
>
> > pkg_add: Read error for bin/pdffonts: Premature end of gzip compressed
> > data: Input/output error
>
> I always have the same when installing packages which have a lot of
> dependencies. Thought it was a network problem and switched to another mirror
> (where I have a gigabit line to), but it stayed.
>
> It usually helps (at least here) to install some dependencies seperately.
>
> If someone knows how to solve this properly, I would also be interested.

I've noticed it too.  I've found that the install dependencies separately
usually helps, although it rather difficult to tell what needs to be installed
since pkg_add doesn't say anything when it installs dependencies.
I was hoping to take a look at where pkg_add puts the files to figure out if it
stops at the same place every time, but from just a cursory investigation I
couldn't tell where it puts them.  In every case that I've run into, it seems
to happen after approximately the same amount of time, but of course that's a
rather rough measure.

eric