Re: What to use for synchronizing data on multiple hosts with NetBSD?

Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> What is the best solution on NetBSD to keep data on three machines in
> sync? One may be used as mostly-always available central machine, but
> changes may happen on all of them, and I don't want to lose access to
> the data if the central machine is not there.
>
> 1. NFS is not a solution, because the data is only available if the
> server is there.
> 2. rsync is not the solution because I have to manually check which
> machine had the latest changes to the files.
> 3. hg/git/... is not the solution because it's inefficient for this
> use -- it duplicates the data (I'm interested in binary data, not well
> compressible)
> 4. afs is not the solution, because I can't get it to work on NetBSD

5. coda almost works well enough, and if you're inclined to play with it
you might find it satisfactory.  I have been using coda for 10 years and
not had any meltdowns from which I could not recover.  It's basically
AFS with disconnected writes that get reintegrated later.

6. http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/
   I don't know enough to comment on suitability, but worth looking at.