Re: Can't boot the install CD on a *physical* machine.

2009/10/19 Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4%gmail.com@localhost>:
> 2009/10/19 Paul Goyette <paul%whooppee.com@localhost>:
>> No idea, but I just tried with an amd64 iso image created from sources
>> updated just a couple hours ago, and it fails on my system, too.
>>
>> It gets as far as displaying the message
>>
>>        NetBSD/x86 cd9660 Primary Bootstrap
>>
>> and then it just sits there.

That was the case on the two laptops I tried; on another couple of
machines it complained that the CD is not readable.

>> Whatever the problem it, it appears to be common to both i386 and amd64
>> ports.
>
> At least I am happy it's not me this time ...

I cvs updated my tree this lunch time and rebuilt upto ISO for
5.99.21, which now happily boots on hardware. No other changes were
made, same spindle of crappy CD-Rs lying around for a few years, same
writer did the burning...

Here you are...

Updated a system (from 5.99.19 to 21) with no issues whatsoever from the CD.

>> On Mon, 19 Oct 2009, Kurt Schreiner wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> Sorry, no idea, but same here since some time with amd64 isos: Written
>>> to CD isos created from -current sources don't boot on any real hardware
>>> (created the CDs on NetBSD and Solaris, used CDs from differend
>>> manufacturers, tried booting on differend machines - doesn't matter).
>>> Isos boot fine in VirtualBox or Vmware (not tried the pysical CDs).
>>>
>>> Kurt

>> |   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:      |
>> | Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul at whooppee.com   |
>> | Network Engineer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at juniper.net |
>> | Kernel Developer |                          | pgoyette at netbsd.org  |
>>

> --

Chavdar Ivanov

----
Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach  - "Even a stopped clock is right twice a
day." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/marie_von_ebnereschenbac.html