Re: 2-clause license for res_init.c

> I'm looking to include a file from NetBSD 5.0.1 into an open source
> project on Apache Software Foundation under the Apache License Version
> 2.  The file in question is res_init.c:
> http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/dist/bind/lib/bind/resolv/Attic/res_init.c?rev=1.1.1.5&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

>>  * Copyright (c) 1985, 1989, 1993
>>  *    The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

In general, you need to ask copyright holders, not redistributors.

> This file looks like it has a BSD license with an advertising clause.
> However, ASF notes that only BSD license without advertising clause is
> most compatible with ALv2:
> http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-a
>
> Is the res_init.c file one of the files that was intended to be switched
> over to the 2-clause license?
> http://www.netbsd.org/about/redistribution.html#why2clause
>
> If so, how can I get an update of the res_init.c file with a 2-license
> clause?  Would somebody on the NetBSD team be able to authorize such a
> change?

Google tells us about advertising clause in UCB sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_licenses#UC_Berkeley_advertising_clause
ftp://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/4bsd/README.Impt.License.Change
---
Specifically, the provision reads:

"     * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
      *    must display the following acknowledgement:
      *    This product includes software developed by the University of
      *    California, Berkeley and its contributors."

Effective immediately, licensees and distributors are no longer required to
include the acknowledgement within advertising materials.  Accordingly, the
foregoing paragraph of those BSD Unix files containing it is hereby deleted
in its entirety.
---

so you may remove clause 3 from UCB copyright notice (and we did it),
but I'm not sure about clause 4.

---
Izumi Tsutsui