Re: documentation on how to dual boot windows and netbsd

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 01:39:49PM +1000, George Michaelson wrote:

> But having done that, I too have found NetBSD MBR is just fine,
> booting both.

I beleive that recent (5.0) netbsd mbr code doesn't overwrite the
disk id that later windows stores in the mbr.
So it is save to install thay after even vista is loaded.

> Rumour has it there is a way to use the Windows chain/boot loader to
> boot NetBSD, in which case you can live with whatever that magic is.

Basically (IIRC) it wants a copy of sector 0 of the partition.
The first 512 bytes on the relevant bootxx_ffsv1 file will do.
However I don't think it passes other than 0 in %dl (for the
disk number).

You might also be able to give it a copy of mbr_bootsel (with a filled
in menu)!

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost