Re: G'damn raidframe... (was: RaidFrame with unequal size replacements)

On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 03:37:05PM -0400, Chris Ross wrote:

> On Aug 1, 2009, at 04:39, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> >># raidctl -v -a /dev/wd0a raid0
> >># raidctl -F component0 raid0
> >>
> >> After many hours, this completed.  Then, I followed the instruction:
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, when the machine rebooted, I now have a failed
> >>"component1", and no mention of the sd1a that I rebuilt onto as a
> >>spare as per the documentation.
> >>
> >> Anyone have any idea (1) What I did wrong,
> >
> >I think you forgot to
> >raidctl -A yes raid0
>
>   I don't think that was the problem.  At least, the raid array did
> configure itself, because I booted off of it.

But you said you changed the name by disabling autoconf. Did you
reenable autoconf after that ?

>   Do I need to execute raidctl -A yes (or in my case, -A root)
> *after* the reconstruction to spare completes, so that it writes out
> effectively new information about configuration to the members of the
> array?  I suppose that makes sense, but it's not in the RAIDframe
> guide that I was following.

I never needed to do it, but I didn't change the raidframe's name ...

>   When this completes, should I be able to do as I did before, and
> just reboot?  Or, does there need to be a raidctl -A in there
> somewhere?  (It's already set to -A auto, but of course that was only
> when there was one drive, so.  (*shrug*))

If you disable autoconf, you need to reenable it at some point.