Current-Users archive

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]

Re: OSX virtualbox 3 beta still dumps core on NetBSD 5.0 release .iso

2009/6/20 Michal Suchanek <>:
> 2009/6/20 Chavdar Ivanov <>:
>> 2009/6/20 Thor Lancelot Simon <>:
>>> On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 11:38:01AM +0100, Chavdar Ivanov wrote:
>>>> 2009/6/20 Matthias Scheler <>:
>>>> >
>>>> > Well, I'm inclined to blame this on VirtualBox as NetBSD works
>>>> > like a charm under VMware Fusion.
>>>> This logic is flawed. Here I can list all the operating systems which
>>>> work fine under VirtualBox.
>>> Uh, no.  NetBSD works fine on the physical hardware VirtualBox is
>>> purportedly emulating.  If it doesn't work on VirtualBox, that can't
>>> possibly be caused by anything but bugs in VirtualBox.
>> I accepted that above. What I added was that NetBSD 4.0 is working,
>> NetBSD 5.0 and later is not, so something clever has happened in
>> between, which we might be able to trace from 4.99.xx commits, in
>> order to avoid it or submit a bug report of some kind to Sun.
>> The remark about the flawed logic was simply result of the frustration
>> knowing that most operating systems I daily use work fine under
>> VirtualBox, so I can use it for testing and prototyping; not NetBSD.
> That's not exactly true. Windows work quite well with VirtualBox
> because that's what VirtualBox was tested with but if you install some
> rootkit (called antivirus by the vendor) they may suddenly become
> unable to boot pretty much as any of the other systems that fail out
> of the box.

For instance?

>> This is not a problem for me per se, as I have enough physical
>> hardware running NetBSD, as well as VMWare machines for similar
>> purposes. I can't imagine it being *that* difficult to fix,
> It depends on the kind of flaw VirtualBox has and how fundamental to
> its current implementation that flaw is.
> One of the hardest part might be to actually identify the flaw, though.
>> unfortunately this is well beyond me to help, except with a trace or a
>> dump. I also realize that this can be fairly low priority for any
>> serious NetBSD developer, and, of course, realize that this is a
>> volunteer project.
>> May be someone from VirtualBox development will hear this noise and
>> patch a thing or two; there were a few NetBSD-related patches in their
>> recent builds...
> I guess they are quite well aware of the fact that not everything
> works in VirtualBox (this also includes OpenBSD)

Nice, but not cigar... dmesg.boot follows:

OpenBSD 4.5-current (GENERIC) #3: Wed Jun 17 17:32:43 MDT 2009
cpu0: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2300 @ 1.66GHz ("GenuineIntel" 686-class) 1.60 GHz
real mem  = 66613248 (63MB)
avail mem = 54886400 (52MB)
mainbus0 at root
bios0 at mainbus0: AT/286+ BIOS, date 06/23/99, BIOS32 rev. 0 @
0xfc030, SMBIOS rev. 2.5 @ 0xe1000 (3 entries)
bios0: vendor innotek GmbH version "VirtualBox" date 12/01/2006
bios0: innotek GmbH VirtualBox
acpi0 at bios0: rev 2
acpi0: tables DSDT FACP
acpi0: wakeup devices
acpitimer0 at acpi0: 3579545 Hz, 32 bits
acpiprt0 at acpi0: bus 0 (PCI0)
acpicpu0 at acpi0
acpibat0 at acpi0: BAT0 model "1" serial 0 type VBOX oem "innotek"
acpiac0 at acpi0: AC unit online
bios0: ROM list: 0xc0000/0x9000 0xe2000/0x1000
cpu0 at mainbus0: (uniprocessor)
pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: configuration mode 1 (bios)
pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "Intel 82441FX" rev 0x02
pcib0 at pci0 dev 1 function 0 "Intel 82371SB ISA" rev 0x00
pciide0 at pci0 dev 1 function 1 "Intel 82371AB IDE" rev 0x01: DMA,
channel 0 configured to compatibility, channel 1 configured to
wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <VBOX HARDDISK>
wd0: 128-sector PIO, LBA, 2048MB, 4194304 sectors
wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2
atapiscsi0 at pciide0 channel 1 drive 0
scsibus0 at atapiscsi0: 2 targets
cd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <VBOX, CD-ROM, 1.0> ATAPI 5/cdrom removable
cd0(pciide0:1:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2
vga1 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 "InnoTek VirtualBox Graphics Adapter" rev 0x00
wsdisplay0 at vga1 mux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay0: screen 1-5 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
pcn0 at pci0 dev 3 function 0 "AMD 79c970 PCnet-PCI" rev 0x40,
Am79c973, rev 0: irq 11, address 08:00:27:64:f7:99
acphy0 at pcn0 phy 0: AC101 10/100 PHY, rev. 11
ifmedia_set: no match for 0x20/0xffffffff
"InnoTek VirtualBox Guest Service" rev 0x00 at pci0 dev 4 function 0
not configured
auich0 at pci0 dev 5 function 0 "Intel 82801AA AC97" rev 0x01: irq 9, ICH AC97
ac97: codec id 0x83847600 (SigmaTel STAC9700)
audio0 at auich0
ohci0 at pci0 dev 6 function 0 "Apple Intrepid USB" rev 0x00: irq 5, version 1.0
piixpm0 at pci0 dev 7 function 0 "Intel 82371AB Power" rev 0x08: SMBus disabled
ehci0 at pci0 dev 11 function 0 "Intel 82801FB USB" rev 0x00: irq 11
usb0 at ehci0: USB revision 2.0
uhub0 at usb0 "Intel EHCI root hub" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 1
isa0 at pcib0
isadma0 at isa0
pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5
pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
pckbc0: using irq 1 for kbd slot
wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
pmsi0 at pckbc0 (aux slot)
pckbc0: using irq 12 for aux slot
wsmouse0 at pmsi0 mux 0
pcppi0 at isa0 port 0x61
midi0 at pcppi0: <PC speaker>
spkr0 at pcppi0
npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0/16: reported by CPUID; using exception 16
fdc0 at isa0 port 0x3f0/6 irq 6 drq 2
fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
fd1 at fdc0 drive 1: density unknown
usb1 at ohci0: USB revision 1.0
uhub1 at usb1 "Apple OHCI root hub" rev 1.00/1.00 addr 1
biomask edfd netmask edfd ttymask ffff
mtrr: CPU supports MTRRs but not enabled
softraid0 at root
root on wd0a swap on wd0b dump on wd0b

It is not very stable, the installation often segfaults, but
continues. I have now an instance of OpenBSD-Current, running under
VBox3.0beta. Xorg segfaults, which is not important, although of
course adds a bit to your argument.

> but they do not have
> that kind of developer team to deal with all flaws in their emulation.
> Thanks
> Michal



Fran Lebowitz  - "Life is something to do when you can't get to
sleep." -

Home | Main Index | Thread Index | Old Index