Re: savecore can't dump

At Thu, 18 Jun 2009 15:57:04 +0100, Patrick Welche <prlw1%cam.ac.uk@localhost>
wrote:
Subject: Re: savecore can't dump

> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 08:06:36AM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:43:32PM +0100, Patrick Welche wrote:
> > >
> > > The following patch "works for me" - suggestions on improvements, and
> > > which
> > > man page I should edit welcome :-)
> >
> > The patch is wrong.  Symbols should be retrieved from /dev/ksyms and
> > all knowledge of "the booted kernel name" removed.
>
> Just one question: savecore tries to copy the currently running kernel -
> presumably it needs the getbootfile() for that?

Indeed!  Need for knowledge of the booted kernel name cannot be avoided.
Savecore needs to know the dead kernel's most likely boot name, even
though in this case it will be the same as the running kernel.  Of
course the assumption that the booted kernel is the same as the one that
died is not necessarily the best one to rely upon.  Perhaps if the
kernel logged it's booted name in dmsg (or somewhere even more obvious,
such as /var/run/booted-kernel) then savecore could try to use that
instead.

Also, in theory, on platforms which are intelligently designed enough to
support the ability to pass the boot command back to the firmware,
reboot could do with an option to reboot the currently running kernel
too.

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.