Re: Revising path to kernel modules

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 09:49:47PM +0000, Andrew Doran wrote:
> > Benefits:
> >
> > * End users can extract one set.tgz to get a new kernel.
>
> End users typically run a release version. The modest guarantee that we can

s/version/branch/.

> and must offer is that the kernel ABI will not change in incompatible ways
> over the release lifetime, so this is somewhat moot. The picture is
> different for those running on the bleeding edge, right.

but the kernel's version number does change
(5.0_BETA->5.0_RCx->5.0->5.0_STABLE-> ...). Each change requires a new
module directory.

> > * Avoiding N more threads initiated by users who update their kernel
> >   after a kernel version bump and have an unbootable system because
> >   they forgot to update the modules.
> >   Or in my case, I didn't start a thread -- I just punted on -current
> >   in frustration.
>
> I think in that case we should provide better documentation or enhance the
> tooling (build.sh). See work in motion to provide a seperate set for kernel
> modules.

end users typically don't use build.sh, they grab a new kernel from
pub/NetBSD-daily/. An easy way to keep kernel and modules in sync from
pub/NetBSD-daily/ binaries is needed.

Manuel.Bouyer%lip6.fr@localhost