Xorg 100% cpu with gnome

I'm not sure what's wrong, so I'll describe it and would appreciate
reports of similar trouble.

I have a Thinkpad T60 that I've been running NetBSD on since 2006-08.  I
recently upgraded from 4.99.{summer 08} to 5.0_RC2 (March 3 build).  I
generally track pkgsrc head, and updated around 3/22-3/24 (via pkg_rr).
At some point recently I noticed the fan being loud, but thought it was
the disk.  Last night I realized that Xorg was pegged at 100% of 1 cpu,
but everything still works.  geeqie (gqview ng) was very slow, which is
why I noticed.

I removed applets from my panel one at a time, and chmod'd things like
nautilus and metacity to 0 and killed them, until I was left with
gnome-session and xterm, and still Xorg was pegged.  xlsclients needs a
way to show # requests recently or cpu time due to each client - is
there some easy way to check this?  Nothing obvious in Xorg.0.log.

I am now using the same Xorg config, but with twm, xterm, emacs, xload,
xclock, essentially the setup I used since switching from uwm around
1990 until I started using gnome, plus firefox 3, so I'm enjoying a bit
of software retrocomputing.  Xorg shows 7m31 cpu time in 1h56 minutes.
Seems like a lot, but not broken - around 7% average.

So, I suspect something is wrong in gnome-session or the server.  I'll
update pkgsrc and will pkg_rr again, and update along netbsd-5 and
rebuild, but I want to suggest to others to check their servers, and I'd
appreciate hearing any adverse reports.