Re: can't run as root with netbsd-5

Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 08:44:53AM -0600, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:
On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 05:31:39PM +1100, bsd-xen%roguewrt.org@localhost wrote:
A major upgrade without physical access ... you're game!

And not syncing your userland and kernel while you have physical
root access, life on the edge! hehe
 I thought I had shorn up that edge pretty well by doing a test upgrade
on a copy of the machine, but I guess I missed something.

Why not upgrade the kernel first?  In my experience that is always the
safest way to go (and is usually safe for remote upgrades too).

Thor

I did upgrade the kernel first, and it was running fine at first: I was able to start up all the normal things I have running on the machine (a couple postgres database, apache, tomcat, postfix, and another chrooted environment with much of the same) without upgrading any userland programs except for ipf. Initially I thought that maybe running all of those things was using up some kind of limited resource on the machine, but stopping most of them (the ones that I didn't need root access to stop) didn't help.

Anyway, I've since managed to get someone to hit the reset button for me, and updated most of the rest of the userland (although with magiclink symlinks using @{osrelease} to make it easy to revert to the old kernel if necessary). Things seem to be ok now, so I'm crossing my fingers.

eric