More strange wsconsole/xorg interaction

Last week I thought I'd gotten everything straightened out with my /etc/ttys vs /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers but it seems that all is not yet quite right.

Currently, I've got four multi-core amd64 systems all configured identically. And due to a power outage earlier today all four systems have recently been cleanly rebooted.

On all four systems, I have identical /etc/ttys files:

        quicky:paul {103} cat /etc/ttys
        #
        #       from: @(#)ttys  5.1 (Berkeley) 4/17/89
        #       $NetBSD: ttys,v 1.5 2008/10/07 10:00:01 abs Exp $
        #
        # name  getty                           type    status          comments
        #
        console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   on secure
        constty "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   off secure
        ttyE0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   off secure
        ttyE1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on secure
        ttyE2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on secure
        ttyE3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on secure

And also identical /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers configurations:

        # $Xorg: Xserv.ws.cpp,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54:17 cpqbld Exp $
        #
        # Xservers file, workstation prototype
        #
        # This file should contain an entry to start the server on the
        # local display; if you have more than one display (not screen),
        # you can add entries to the list (one per line).  If you also
        # have some X terminals connected which do not support XDMCP,
        # you can add them here as well.  Each X terminal line should
        # look like:
        #       XTerminalName:0 foreign
        #
        # :0 local /usr/X11R7/bin/X vt05 -nolisten tcp
        :0 local /usr/X11R7/bin/X vt05

On all four of the machines, my /usr/X11R7/bin/xconsole display shows the following text being repeatedly displayed:

        NetBSD/amd64 (quicky.whooppee.com) (console)

        login:

Now for the strangeness...

Machine #1
---------
Switching to ttyE0 (Ctrl/Alt/F1) shows that the "real" console has exactly one occurrence of the text

        NetBSD/amd64 (quicky.whooppee.com) (console)

        login:

It would appear that it's waiting for a username, but no amount of typing has any effect. Characters typed are echoed, but when \r is typed, the screen scrolls and that's it. No password prompt or anything else. ttyE[1-3] appear to work normally, and entering a username results in a prompt for password. (However, when switching to any of ttyE[0-3] the display seems to be at 50% of normal intensity.)

ps shows a getty running on ttyE[1-3] but not on any other device; so what is repeated diplaying the "login:" prompt that keeps showing up in my xconsole window?

Machine #2
----------
It's pretty difficult to determine what's happening here, since switching to any of ttyE[0-3] just yields a totally black screen (ie, 0% intensity!). Ctrl/Alt/F5 does, however, restore the X display.

ps shows a getty running on ttyE[1-3] but not on any other device...

Machine #3
----------
Here, the behavior is identical to Machine #1, however the display intensity is 1005 - normal.

ps shows a getty running on ttyE[1-3] but not on any other device...

Machine #4
----------
This one is really screwed up!

Initially, when switching to ttyE0, there was nothing displayed past the point where xdm was started. ttyE[1-3] had display intensity at 100% and were working correctly, as far as I can remember. But just now when I tried to switch from the X server on ttyE4 the screen suddenly came up black (well, my display reports that the video signal is "out of range")!

I can't even switch back to the X server, and my sysbeep is beeping about once every 30 or 40 seconds. Running "/etc/rc.d/xdm stop" hangs waiting for the process to die. I can manually kill both xdm and X, but restarting X does not seem to get the video card back into any sort of usable state.

ps shows no getty running on any device, not even ttyE[1-3].

I logged in remotely and rebooted the machine. The ttyE0 display now shows the completion of system startup, including the expected date/time stamp. But there's no "login:" prompt. ttyE[1-3] are working normally, and display intensity is at the normal 100%.

ps shows a getty running on ttyE[1-3] PLUS console! But there's no prompt on the console, and although characters are echoed, nothing happens when pressing \r. At least I can switch back to the X server!

Update : checking back on Machine #4, it seems that the getty for ttyE0 has disappeared, yet xconsole shows those login: prompts continuing.

I'm just totally confused - almost as confused as my machines!

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:      |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul at whooppee.com   |