Re: OpenJDK binaries

Alan Barrett wrote:
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009, Christos Zoulas wrote:
| I never understood why you need Java to build Java

Because the compiler is written in java and the runtime needs to have a
the compiled java code to run.

I have a prejudice against third party binaries.  Is there a way of
building a very old version of java using only a C or C++ compiler,
and then use the very old version of java to build a not-quite-so-old
version of java, etc.?

Not that I'm aware, but you're welcome to write your own javac implementation and hook that into the build.