Re: [5.0_RC2] long delay in /boot

On Feb 22, 2009, at 11:38 , Jared D. McNeill wrote:

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009, Andrew Doran wrote:
On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 10:38:29AM -0500, Jared D. McNeill wrote:

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 03:55:50PM -0500, Andreas Wrede wrote:
On a NetBSD/amd64 5.0_RC2 system, the boot process hangs for 4 min 52
sec (+- 1 sec) after printing the loaded segment sizes and before
printing the Copyright line. This is happening in /boot as booting /
usr/pkg/mdec/memtestplus is also delayed by the same 4 min 52 sec.

Try to build a kernel without pckbd. We had some issues on cetrain HP
systems with the built-in keyboard emulation being extremely slow,
resulting in similar symptoms.

How is that going to help /boot?

Presumably this is the same problem that affects some Soekris boxes? Or are
they from another vendor?

Must be a different vendor, Soekris doesn't have any amd64 products. ISTR that the Soekris problem was that it took ~5 minutes for boot2 to show up, instead of ~5 minutes for the kernel to start.

Yes and on my NET5501 the delay between mbr boot and /boot is still 2 min 10 sec, with mbr and bootxx_ffsv1 built from 5.0_RC2 sources. After that, /boot loads the kernel and runs it with no delay.

The box with the /boot-to-kernel delay is a ASUS P5Q with a Core 2 Quad CPU.

How can I turn on DEBUG for sys/arch/i386/stand/lib/exec.c, which I think where I would start looking?