Re: Why is Desktop NetBSD a threat to NetBSD?

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 7:16 AM, Hauke Fath
<hauke%espresso.rhein-neckar.de@localhost> wrote:
> At 17:23 Uhr -0700 13.2.2009, Andy Ruhl wrote:
>>I haven't used Gnome seriously in, well, ever, so I didn't know that.
>>I always just do pkg_add on KDE and it mostly just works.
>
> ...without support for hot-pluggable devices (on NetBSD at least), as does
> Gnome. The controversial HAL bits are used by both Gnome and KDE, AFAIK.

This is not directed at you, it's just a general question:

When did hot pluggable devices become part of Andrew Doran's original
email? I don't see him mentioning this anywhere. I think this
discussion has come up because people assume that it must be supported
since "everyone else" supports it.

I just don't see why it's such a bad thing to start without this. It
never occurred to me that the "kitchen sink" is the only reasonable
way forward.

Andy