Re: 5.99.7: can't mount cdrom

Dear folks,

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 04:26:08PM +0200, Andreas Gustafsson wrote:
> Earlier today, I wrote:
> >   ftp
> > ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/200901240002Z/iso/i386cd.iso
> >   qemu-img create wd0.img 384M
> >   qemu -hda wd0.img -cdrom i386cd.iso
>
> That was with qemu 0.9.1 under Linux.  With qemu 0.9.0 under NetBSD,
> you need to add "-boot d" to the qemu command line to make it boot
> from the CDROM, and instead of the "wdc_atapi_intr: warning: reading
> only 8 of 20 bytes" error, you get a different error message:
>
>   cd0(wdc1:0:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x46 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 08 00
>       SENSE KEY:  Illegal Request
>        ASC/ASCQ:  Invalid Command Operation Code
>
> This looks similar to the problem I already reported in kern/40440.
> Maybe it's all the same bug manifesting itself differently depeneding
> on the (virtual) hardware.

I haven't looked into the other CD problems yet, but for qemu its clear: it
emulated a (groggy) CD-ROM device and thus command 0x46 is not available but
its harmless. I can try to make the commands not to print errors since the
error handling is already taken into the pieces of code. Its part of the
generic MMC code that tries to abstract all the different types of devices. If
this SCSI call fails it means its a (semi braindead) CD-ROM/DVD-ROM and it
caters for that by reconstructing the data from depricated SCSI calls reading
TOC and ond mode pages.

I'll have a look into the other problems,

Cheers,
Reinoud