Re: why NetBSD include binary/blob driver or firmware by default?

Manuel Bouyer, 01/25/09 17:07:
On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 04:45:51PM +0200, Cem Kayali wrote:
Thanks for explanations.

Most of replies mentions about firmwares already existing because they are part of hardware cpu. I do know and I really understand that! There is nothing to do about that even if i run dd=/dev/zero of=/wholedrive.

I just wanted to KINDLY ask developers that how could someone exclude binary/blob only drivers while compiling the current. A brief documentation would be really good.

I still don't understand why this would be good, at last for firmwares
(drivers may be a bit different). You don't even know what hardware
parts use firmwares; the fact that the firmware is loaded by the OS
or from some eeprom doesn't change anything.

Well, im talking about drivers, not firmwares... I understand firmwares are different.

/usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/ath/public/alpha-elf.hal.o.uu
/usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/ath/public/ap30.hal.o.uu
/usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/ath/public/ap43.hal.o.uu
/usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/ath/public/ap51.hal.o.uu

These are blob drivers in sys directory - though my source is 2 months old.

find /usr/src -name *.uu

Cem