Re: why NetBSD include binary/blob driver or firmware by default?

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 04:45:51PM +0200, Cem Kayali wrote:
> Thanks for explanations.
>
> Most of replies mentions about firmwares already existing  because they
> are part of  hardware cpu. I do know and I really understand that! There
> is nothing to do about that even if i run dd=/dev/zero of=/wholedrive.
>
> I just wanted to KINDLY ask developers that how could someone exclude
> binary/blob only drivers while compiling the current. A brief
> documentation would be really good.

I still don't understand why this would be good, at last for firmwares
(drivers may be a bit different). You don't even know what hardware
parts use firmwares; the fact that the firmware is loaded by the OS
or from some eeprom doesn't change anything.