Re: [HEADS-UP] Atheros HAL imported into NetBSD-current

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:

> I just have finished the import in NetBSD -current of the Atheros HAL
> source release by Sam Leffer a week and a half ago.

Excellent, thanks for that. (and Sam too)

I don't have any direct experience of this and haven't looked at the code,
but it is my understanding that HAL is "Hardware Abstraction Layer" which
was necessary to hide the secret hardware controls from the open source
driver. My question is, now that this is not hidden, would it make sense
for "Somebody" to merge the two and make drivers that actually drive the
hardware, or is that just lots of work for no real gain?

iain