Re: isp(4) annoying problems on PWS500au

The real problem with this error message is that the kernel is braying about a temporary error that it recovers from. I've been seeing this on a DigitalServer 3305 (nee AlphaServer 800 5/500; a 500 MHz 21164a system, originally with 500MB RAM, now with 2GB RAM) running NetBSD 3.1 for some years now - my primary NFS server. It first showed up when I created an FFS on a striped CCD with 64k blocks, and reducing to 32k blocks didn't help.

My read of the code involved is that the isp(4) driver is making a few too many requests of the bus_space or bus_dma code when I/O piles up (forgot which - I looked a very long time ago), and doesn't back off. I see these every day with CVS updates.

        Erik <fair%netbsd.org@localhost>