Re: Please read if you use x86 -current

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:31:45AM +0200, Antti Kantee wrote:

> Patching the source is definitely not the right answer.  In fact, I
> think that even having to compile from sources is not the right answer
> for general users.  This is not the 70's, we should be able to just ship
> supported "the" binaries that people can happily use.  Developers and
> other weird people are their own, limited problem and they can just
> support themselves.

Seconded.

> GENERIC has everything on as modules and GARGANTUA has everything built-in
> (preferably sharing some config aspects).

I don't see the benefit of this justifying the cost. I'm willing to bet that
the majority of users don't really care if the system is using modules or
what the running kernel is.

We still provide source and configurable kernels, so developers and "more
particular" users can do whatever they like.

Andrew