Re: Please read if you use x86 -current

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 01:43:32PM +1100, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 08:04:35PM -0500, Martin S. Weber wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 02:57:08PM +0000, Andrew Doran wrote:
> > >   cd src/sys/modules
> > >   make
> > >   make install
> > >
> > > I am open to ideas about how this can be automated either via the kernel
> > > makefile, or
> >
> > Yeah I'm naive.
> >
> > But if ... kernel=X is done, cd src/sys/modules when done,
> > make, make install with destination objdir-of-kernel/modules ?
> modules, upon which kernel= should depend?

Okay I think I see now where ideas need to come from? To me, building
a kernel with modules is just like building a kernel without modules.
In one case the files get linked together later, in the other case the
files get linked together now. I don't see a 2nd step somewhere. Building
the "kernel" used to mean, compile all the source and link together
the objects plus some housekeeping. Now 'link together the objects plus
some housekeeping' should build the modules imo. I don't see why kernel=XXX can't build the modules for me and put them into
the kernel obj directory, ready to be copied over. I don't see why I
would want a 2nd step. If the kernel is so lean now, always building the
kernel won't hurt. If it isn't, add -U. As I said, I'm naive.