Re: NetBSD bricked my wm0?

* On 2008-11-01 at 00:40 GMT, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:

> What version of NetBSD?

4.99.73 (200810230002Z from NetBSD-daily) - see the attached dmesg.txt
for any more information.

> Are there tools to dump the EEPROM?

Pass.

> If not, can you boot Linux and dump the EEPROM?

I'll have a look.

> The Linux problem turned out to be "ftrace" which wrote randomly to
> memory. Unfortunately, it also wrote to the EEPROM control register
> and was able to wipe out parts of the EEPROM. People who tried to
> use IBAUTIL, etc, to write back the EEPROM did more damage. You may
> have encountered a similar problem writing back your BIOS, but I'll
> have to check when I get back to work.

Shouldn't have done, from what I've read the people who broke theirs
more were those who ran IBAUTIL on machines they shouldn't have done
so (i.e. laptops with integrated LAN) - that util is for discrete
adapters only, which is why I've made sure not to try it and only use
the vendor-supplied BIOS image.

At least from what I can see, re-flashing the BIOS had zero impact, it
doesn't seem to have made the problem _worse_.

Thanks,

--
Jonathan Perkin                                     The NetBSD Project
http://www.perkin.org.uk/                       http://www.netbsd.org/