Re: dbcool on iBook G4 late 2004 doesn't work

Hello,

On Oct 11, 2008, at 11:45 AM, Paul Goyette wrote:

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008, Robert Fritzsche wrote:

I tried the new 4.99.73 kernel on my iBook G4 late 2004 with dbcool in the kernel config. After reboot the fan run with full revolutions and envstat doesn't notice the new sensor.

Can anyone help me?

Well, I wrote the thing, so maybe I can help!

Did you ever have any sensors detected using an earlier kernel? Which one(s)? Do you have a dmesg from both the older and current kernel so we can compare?

I don't have any macppc hardware to play with, so I converted the 'dbcool at ki2c' blindly. I expected it to work, but you never know!

dbcool at iic addr whatever will probably Just Work(tm) now that the driver actually looks for the chip instead of blindly relying on config like my old driver did ( that was the main purpose of the ki2c attachment - not having to provide an address and not having to look for the chip )

Also, I would expect the fans to run at full speed until you've used the various sysctl(8) variables to tune the PWM algorithm. See 'sysctl hw.dbcool' and 'man 4 dbcool' for description of the sysctl stuff.

Umm, no. The iBook's firmware programs reasonable temperature thresholds into the chip ( IIRC 85C for the CPU, lower values for RAM and GPU temperature ) so the fans should most definitely /not/ run at full speed on startup. On the other hand, since we upgraded to gcc4 starting the Xserver apparently heats up the CPU quite a bit so the fan speeds up but it should slow down again. This effect is probably exaggerated on my iBook though, I set the CPU temperature threshold to 75C.

have fun
Michael