No resume on Sony GRX690

I'm running -current (4.99.72, today's sources) on a Sony Vaio
PCG-GRX690.  Suspend (via sysctl -w machdep.sleep_state=3) appears to
(mostly?) work, but the machine wil not resume.

By mostly works, I mean that the machine appears to shut off (e.g., the
fan stops and the "on" light blinks yellow), but the screen does not go
off.  It does appear to dim some, though.

Any thoughts on debugging this?  Any useful information to provide?

Ed Gould                  s/v A Cappella