Re: Noisy ipmi0 after bootup? (really other kernel noise)

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, Juan Romero Pardines wrote:

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, Simon Burge wrote:

With no added options and today's sources, I get the added bonus of
being told the previous critical warnings twice!  This is booting to
single user, so no syslogd etc:

 ipmi0: critical over limit on 'Fan8/CPU2'
 ipmi0: critical over limit on 'Fan8/CPU2'
 ipmi0: critical over limit on 'Fan7/CPU1'
 ipmi0: critical over limit on 'Fan7/CPU1'
 ipmi0: critical over limit on 'Fan6'
 ipmi0: critical over limit on 'Fan6'
 ipmi0: critical over limit on 'Fan5'
 ipmi0: critical over limit on 'Fan5'
 ipmi0: critical over limit on 'Fan4'
 ipmi0: critical over limit on 'Fan4'

IMHO, the correct fix for this would be to check in ipmi.c:ipmi_sensor_status()
if edata->value_cur contains valid data, otherwise I'd change its state to
ENVSYS_SINVALID.

Yes, that's true. And I will look at the ipmi code to see if I can make this happen.

Still, I'm puzzled how a fan running at 0 RPM can be in "critical over" condition. I would expect a zero value to be "critical under" :)

Also, I need to figure out why each sensor is being reported twice. I think once should be adequate, even if it's in a critical condition. If the oeprator doesn't react the first time, he/she probably won't react the second time either. :)

I'll work on all of these.

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul%whooppee.com@localhost   |
| Network Engineer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%juniper.net@localhost |