Re: Noisy ipmi0 after bootup? (really other kernel noise)

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008, Havard Eidnes wrote:

The actual console messages are created by the scripts in
/etc/powerd/scripts directory.

Eh, no.  In my case, on a normal multi-user reboot, after /etc/rc
has run and getty is started on the console, these messages
appear (both on the console and in the kernel message buffer):

coretemp0: normal state on 'cpu0 temperature'
coretemp1: normal state on 'cpu1 temperature'

<more snsor info snipped>

You'll note that 'normal state on' is nowhere to be found in the
files in the /etc/powerd/scripts directory.

I will certainly investigate making the "verbosity" of sysmon_envsys(9)
more tailorable as part of a revamp that I'm planning for the post-5.0
timeframe.

Uh, I mentioned this now so that this could be fixed *prior* to
us releasing 5.0, since it's exactly when a new release is cut
that more users typically come into contact with our installer
environment.

Yes, I have found the problem here. The "last reported state" value is not being initialized (well, it is, but not to a reasonable value), so every sensor registration ends up triggering a "Changed from <no-such- state> to Normal" event. Since these happen before powerd has been started, they get reported on the console via printf().

I'm in the process of fixing now, by properly initializing things:

  PENVSYS_TYPE_BATTERY is initialized to ENVSYS_BATTERY_CAPACITY_NORMAL
  PENVSYS_TYPE_DRIVE                     ENVSYS_DRIVE_EMPTY
  PENVSYS_TYPE_<other>                   ENVSYS_SVALID

Changes are being compiled and tested now. Assuming there's no problem I will commit later this evening.

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul%whooppee.com@localhost   |
| Network Engineer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%juniper.net@localhost |