Re: Dell IPMI and PERC utils

perry%piermont.com@localhost ("Perry E. Metzger") writes:

>I don't think IPMI is an operating system issue -- it is handled by
>the hardware below the level of the OS.

This is one side.

Usually you also have ipmi drivers in the operating system to
make the data available.

Our ipmi(4) driver does something similar and feeds some of
the data to the envsys(4) driver, but this looks different
from say the OpenIPMI drivers in Linux where you can use
the same ipmitool for local and remote queries.

ipmi can also be used to access a redirected serial BIOS.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost