Re: Compiling the current source code

2008/8/4 Alan Barrett <apb%cequrux.com@localhost>:
> On Mon, 04 Aug 2008, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>> Is there a reason why an obj directory isn't created automatically
>> like a destdir and tooldir and other directories are created
>> automatically?
>
> As far as I know, it is supposed to be created automatically, and it
> is certainly created automatically when I use build.sh.  I wasn't
> consciously aware of the problem until your message, but it's probably
> not too difficult to fix.
>
> --apb (Alan Barrett)

After your changes to build.sh in rev. 1.191 of Aug 5th it appears
that it is now mandatory to use -O or -M with build.sh. Before this
change I used build.sh without specifying -O or -M (my typical use is
a plain and sometimes somewhat dangerous 'sh build.sh -u -E build).

I feel much more comfortable having set the paths to the source and
object directories in /etc/mk.conf rather than specifying them in each
call to build.sh.

The part of my /etc/mk.conf that is not related to pkgsrc is:

# Generate object files in machine dependent locations
OBJMACHINE=true
USR_OBJMACHINE=true
MKOBJDIRS=yes

BSDOBJDIR=/home/NetBSD/obj
BSDSRCDIR=/home/NetBSD/src

MKTOOLS=YES
MAKEVERBOSE=1

# X11
X11_TYPE=modular

My question really is whether it is intentional that using BSDOBJDIR
and BSDSRCDIR in /etc/mk.conf has stopped working ?

regards
- Erik