Re: Compiling the current source code

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008, Alan Barrett wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Aug 2008, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > What is the benefit of having complaints about this continuing for five
> > years?
>
> What is the benefit of asking questions in such a combative tone?  It
> certainly doesn't make me interested in trying to help you.

I apologize. No offense was intended.

But it is interesting that I get a response.

Because when others and I asked about this many times over five years it
still wasn't improved. I guess my questions should be more simple:

Is there a reason why an obj directory isn't created automatically like a
destdir and tooldir and other directories are created automatically?

And if there is an accepted reason, how can we better document it and
clarify the error messages so this issue isn't continually repeated by our
end-users and our developers?

(A similar situation is in pkgsrc -- frequent complaints now for several
years on building X-using packages because errors don't suggest to enduser
that they are using wrong X11_TYPE.)