Re: select/poll bug?

On 2-Aug-08, at 6:57 PM, Roy Marples wrote:

Not entirely sure what you mean here, but some research just put a nail
in using select - well it's coffin anyway. POSIX only says it has to
wait upto 31 days. Linux has a hard limit which is hard to work out, so I'm now looping on poll. I really really wish the man pages were better
documented about this!

I'm not sure why you want to set a timer for the whole lease.

Why not set a regular timer and decrement the remaining lease TTL on that interval?

The extra CPU cycles through such a loop, even counting all the kernel time for the system call transitions, is inevitably negligible over such periods as DAYS.

--
                                        Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
                                        <woods%planix.ca@localhost>