versioned files in DESTDIR breaking build

I do update builds usually, and occasionally have to remove stale files.
But, it seems like every week I have the following problem, and I wonder
if it should be part of to clean this out.  Or perhaps, to have
update not clean the obj dirs but always use a fresh destdir.

=======  16 extra files in DESTDIR  =========
Files in DESTDIR but missing from flist.
File is obsolete or flist is out of date ?
=========  end of 16 extra files  ===========