Re: cant install amd64 4.99.63 due to device busy errors

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 09:50:15PM +0200, Antoine Reilles wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 06:41:13PM +0200, Antoine Reilles wrote:
> > On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:36:53AM +0100, Mark Kirby wrote:
> > > Im trying to install amd64 4.99.63 on my macbook, when i use sysinst it
> > > gets to the point of newfsing the partition but dies complaining the
> > > device is busy. So i tried a 4.99.22 installer which worked first time
> > > without any problems.
> > >
> > > After installing i inserted the 4.99.63 cd and tried to upgrade, same
> > > thing device busy. Copying the new kernel of the cd and booting just
> > > ends with
> > >
> > > vfs_mountroot: can't open root device
> > > cannot mount root, error = 16
> > >
> > > and 16 is EBUSY
> > I just had the very same problem when trying to install 4.99.64 on a
> > macbook. Installing 4.0 on this machine went fine.
> >
> > > Any one got any ideas? Should i file a PR?
> > >
> > I noticed the 4.99.64 install kernel did see the gpt partitions, and
> > recognized only the EFI one, which is fat32. The HFS+ ones were
> > skipped/ignored. sysinst tried to use the mbr partitions proposed by
> > rEFIt, and proposed to partition a mbr slice. Everyting went fine until
> > it tried to newfs, which failed with "device busy". Mounting the
> > partitions that the 4.0 installed made also failed with the same error.
> >
> > Could it be that the gpt wedge support prevents the use of the mbr ?
> > Then it would be nice to have the gpt tool in the install kernel, to be
> > able to change some gpt labels to some that netbsd understands.
> > I will ty to test a -current install kernel built without the
> > DKWEDGE_AUTODISCOVER and DKWEDGE_METHOD_GPT options.
> 4.99.66 kernel, built without DKWEDGE_AUTODISCOVER and
> DKWEDGE_METHOD_GPT options boots the macbook just fine.
> It seems that when gpt partitions are found, they take the priority.
> That would be fine if we could adjust the gpt labels with gpt from the
> install kernel.

I also tried to install -current with installation cd including gpt,
keeping the gpt wedge options enabled.
It lets me declare NetBSD ffs and NetBSD swap partitions, but when
trying to newfs the ffs partition, i do get a "device busy" error.

However, it lets me mount ufs partitions that i created with macosx.
The netbsd kernel is built with FFS_EI, but when rebooting on osx, it
complains the ufs filesystem is damaged and cannot be fixed, with the
following error message:
BAD SUPER BLOCK: VALUES IN SUPER BLOCK DISAGREE WITH THOSE IN FIRST ALTERNATE
** /dev/rdisk0s5 (NO WRITE)
Reverse Byte order Filesystem Detected
LOOK FOR ALTERNATE SUPERBLOCKS? no
Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.

Best regards,
antoine