Re: python dumps core

Moin,

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 05:56:38PM +1000, Simon Burge wrote:
> "Martin S. Weber" wrote:
> > This ain't a critizism of ad@ .
> >
> > Since he started working, rebuilding and reinstalling a new
> > userland also means coredumps in pkgsrc until the rolling-replace
> > is finished. I.e. ABI -- who?
> >
> > When I've updated from .58 to .60 I've had to rebuild my perl,
> > too, as pkg_chk made it dump core in each of my installed pkg's
> > pkgsrc-directory. Who cares, I'm -current ...
> >
> > I'm just surprised that you're surprised about it.
>
> This problem wasn't caused by Andy - it was completely independent
> of the work he's been doing.  There has been some times of lossage
> recently amid the great advances that Andy has made, but it's a bit
> unfair to blame every problem on him without doing any research on
> what the problem is first.

yes I see that the problem is unrelated and I send my apologies
for blaming the wrong one. Sorry.

Yet you misunderstood what I wrote. I started out with: This ain't
a critizism of ad@ . <-- exactly for I know the value of his work
and having a more vivid and fluid target also means some breakage
at times just because you can't help it. "Wo gehobelt wird fallen
Spaene" as we say in german ("You have to break an egg to make
an ommelette"?) and ad@'s just making a lot of ommelettes, so be it.

I don't think it's unfair to "blame" him either because the kind
of breakage he introduces often marks another technological step.
And when pthread comes into play, your first thought is (and should
be ;) ad@ ... Finally, tracking -current can at times mean recompiling
all your nice pkgs, so I jumped to (wrong) conclusions. My bad.
See 1st paragraph.

Regards,

-Martin