Re: Setting boot verbosity in the kernel config

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Iain Hibbert wrote:
On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, Stephen Borrill wrote:

So I've created a patch which provides something like:
options         BOOT_VERBOSITY="AB_SILENT"

The option is ORed with boothowto.

should it perhaps be options BOOT_HOWTO="...", just for consistency?

That's consistent only with the internal variable name used rather than being descriptive. The end user doesn't know (or care) what the variable is called, just what it does.

I'm willing to be swayed on this if there's a strong feeling either way as technically you could use it to set things other than verbosity (though I don't see the point of a kernel that always asks for the root device, for instance).

--
Stephen