Re: Setting boot verbosity in the kernel config

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, matthew sporleder wrote:
On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 5:06 AM, Stephen Borrill
<> wrote:
In an embedded or customer-facing product, we don't want the kernel autoconf
messages welcoming them. That's what boot -z is aim at. Due to incomplete
aprint_* conversion, it's currently less than successful, but that's not my
problem here (I use a local hack that basically makes printf() a copy of

 I want to be able to set the boot verbosity in the kernel configuration and
not have to hack the bootloader to pass the appropriate boot flags.
 I also want the option to go back to normal or verbose mode from the
bootloader if I wish.

 So I've created a patch which provides something like:
 options         BOOT_VERBOSITY="AB_SILENT"

 The option is ORed with boothowto. It adds a AB_FORCENORMAL flag too which
clears boothowto first. This can be used in both the kernel config and
access with a new -n flag in the boot loader.

 This means you can use BOOT_VERBOSITY="AB_SILENT" and then go back to
normal with boot -n. Or if you want to stop the bootloader overriding it at

 The patch is here:

 It's incomplete in that I've not updated the usage() text in the various
bootloaders that use it to reflect the new flag.

Nice.  Have you used this with vesafb/splashscreen?

Yes. Though the splashscreen negates the need for this to some extent. What I do need to do is make it so the booting in verbose or debug will disable the splashscreen.