Re: bridge startup with clone interfaces

On Apr 22, 2008, at 2:39 , Daniel Carosone wrote:

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 10:46:15AM -0400, Andreas Wrede wrote:

On Apr 20, 2008, at 11:51 , Juergen Hannken-Illjes wrote:
Had the same problem with vlan/bridge interfaces. I use /etc/ rc.conf:

        auto_ifconfig=NO
        net_interfaces="wm0 wm1 vlan0 vlan1 bridge0 bridge1 bridge2"

Ah, ok, although that solution requires some insight and understanding of the network configuration machinery, especially the difference between a
cloned and non-cloned interface. I stumbled here because I was adding
pkgsrc's openvpn to an already up and running system.

Unless there are other drawbacks, I'd like to propose to change
etc/rc.d/network such:

No specific objection to doing create-before-configure, but it's not a
sufficiently general solution.  You may still need a specific order,
where configuration of one interface depends on the configuration of
another (not just the creation).  In particular, encapsulation
interfaces like gre, vlan, pppoe and others may need the "parent" to
be configured first (dependencies on interface routes being one common
case).

It may reduce a small number of cases where you need to resort to an
explicit order (such as yours), but either way we should improve the
documentation around how to specify an explicit order.

I am more concerned with making the auto_ifconfig process predictable. For example, if you have configured a bridge with 2 "real" interfaces, autoconfig works. If you later replace one of the interfaces with a vlan interface that you defined on top of it, the bridge config will fail relatively silently (ie. the bridge will exist with only the remaining "real" interface as a member).