Re: Hot plugging of SATA disks doesn't seem to work under NetBSD-4.x?

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 03:52:34 pm Brian Buhrow wrote:
>       Hello.  Sorry I wasn't clear about scsi disks and hot pluggable
> enclosures.  However, perhaps I mis-stated the question.  In relased
> versions of NetBSD, at least Versions 2, 3 and 4, given a properly designed
> scsi enclosure which permits hot pluggability, the scsitl utility can be
> used to good effect to rescan buses after disk changes, and raidframe can
> be used to rebuild arrays on swapped drives after drive changes on those
> properly designed enclosures, all without bringing a running system down.
>       The same cannot be said for SATA disks, which can also be placed in
> enclosures which permit hot plugging.  The atactl /dev/atabus0 reset
> command does not have the desired effect.
> I think this should work, and I wonder how hard it is to make work.

Looking at other posts on the net, it appears that FreeBSD can facilitate this
with the 'atacontrol' (detach/attach) program but NetBSDs 'atactl' seems to
lack the required functionality.

I'd say a feature comparison between the two may be a first step. There may
completely different heritage though (atactl claims to be based on scsictl)
so maybe a port is more appropriate.

Sarton