Re: journaling integration in current?

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 01:45:14PM +1000, Simon Burge wrote:
>  - kern/38057.  This has two effects: your root FS can't be journaled
>    and you need a ffs /dev (ie, you can't use an mfs or tmpfs /dev).

Not a show-stopper for commit IMO.

>  - Joerg has seen some panics when bulk-building.  Both have the same
>    trace:

It wouldn't be the first layerfs issue, so I wouldn't call this a show
stopper either. I would expect that both are a side effect of some
concurrency issue. The bulk build is heavily utilising the unlink path
as well.

>  - Joerg and I have both seen processes block on "tstile" and the system
>    then slowly grinds to a halt.  At least for me this is with a SMP
>    machine, I'm not sure what Joerg has.

Me too. I have also seen one instance where the code seems to have been
spinning inside the kernel.

Nevertheless I do not believe this problems to be show-stoppers for
merging the code into HEAD.

Joerg