Re: i386 current upgrade and binary compatibility

On Thursday 27 March 2008, Juan RP wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 08:39:44 -0600
>
> Sverre Froyen <sverre%viewmark.com@localhost> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just upgraded from current as of 2 January to yesterday's current.
> > After installing the new system, I find that some KDE (3.5.9) components
> > fail: artsd, konqueror, kdeinit, and others.  (With just the new kernel
> > everything was OK.)  A rebuild of kdelibs3, restored konqueror (but not
> > the others).
> >
> > I presume this lossage is caused by interface changes in the system
> > libraries. It surprises me, however, since I thought that versioning
> > would take care of such issues.  In any case, perhaps a note in UPDATING
> > would be appropriate.
>
> Something like this has been reported by a few users, looks like you have
> to rebuild libstdc++ from scratch.

Looks like an ABI change to libstdc++ on 2 Feb
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2008/02/03/msg001856.html may be
the culprit.  See
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-toolchain/2008/02/20/msg000071.html

I suggest adding a note to UPDATING:

20080202:
        The gcc upgrade to version GCC-4.1 20080202 introduced an ABI
        change in libstdc++.  Applications that use libstdc++ may have to
        be rebuilt.